Friday, August 21, 2009

A look back: An experiment with Impressionism...


This was my second experiment with soft pastel painting and impressionism and was created 5 years ago. I love the light in this photo, however at that time in my artistic endeavors, I thought that planning a painting or gridding was "cheating" and I did everything ONLY by free hand.

As my commissions picked up I was forced to plan better and I broke down and experimented with "gridding" off my paper or canvas. I've grown to appreciate this practice and now as I understand it, "gridding" is merely another tool at my disposal, and all the tools enhance my work.

What is a technique that you avoided or are avoiding? Maybe you should revisit it/them just for fun.

_______________________________

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. Andre Gide

No comments:

Post a Comment