Sunday, June 7, 2009

And the critics say...


The BEST part of my opening, was listening to people discuss the work amongst themselves when they didn't realize that I could hear. To listen to their honest take on each piece was invaluable.

I also adored seeing so many emotional responses to the first "sight" of certain works. There were lots of giggles for instance to "And...?", the yawning Siamese.

All the things I internalized in the creation of this show were verbalized by my guests.

1. When I am insecure about a work, be it the "I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up and should stop now", or the "I don't like the direction this work is taking"... it shows in the line and the energy of the work.

2. (I am paraphrasing Picasso) If you want an exact like-ness, thats what a camera is for. Art is more and goes beyond photo realism. I need to take that next step and listen to my instincts--be bold with line and color (see 1.)

3. I do great with the eyes and expression and when people look at my work they feel "something". (this is the highest compliment I think I can get, and lets me know that I'm on the right track).

There was much more feed back these where the top and what I hope you take away from this is, listen to your gut. If you look honestly at your work, you will see the areas for growth. And then get a group of strangers and friends together and listen to how they respond to your work... at the end of the day that is why we do it, isn't it?

__________________________________________

The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all Mark Twain

1 comment:

  1. I have many of these same feelings. You are not alone. I really enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete