Sunday, February 15, 2009

Painting Pablo....




As the blog suggests, the idea is that we are together in my studio. So I thought today, that I'd let you see where I start with a commission and where I'm going until I abandon a current project ("Art is never completed, it is merely abandoned").

I finished this commission approx. two weeks ago. And I had the great fortune to actually meet the subject before I started on the project. His breed is a "Chin", and he is only about 3 pounds. He is minuscule in the eyes of his wolf ancestors. But his personality is on par with any Mongolian Emperor of old. We are his devoted subjects and Pablo knows it. He also has a very interesting solid Zen-like presence in person. His little personality radiates from his diminutive form, which I would never have understood without seeing him.

So we intersect his coloring (see the blog post previously on the color black), and the play of light and contrasts (see the blog post on light, contrast and hue), and we are at "Radiance".

And yes, even tho he is an emperor, he does have those disheveled ear hairs... even rulers get bed-head.

Photo realism is NOT my goal. As Picasso once pointed out, we have photography, there is no reason to try to repeat it. Art is more than photography. I am trying to capture the essence of my subject and their personality with one image. And I fully exploit light, shade and color to achieve those ends.

__________________

You should keep on painting no matter how difficult it is, because this is all part of experience, and the more experience you have, the better it is.. unless it kills you, and then you know you have gone too far.--Alice Neel

No comments:

Post a Comment